I have to say, this summer I have no issues with hijab. Perhaps my prayers have been answered!
It used to be that I would have my ups and downs, and then when summer rolled around I wished I could just flaunt my hair and bask in the sun.
But, this time around, I feel comfortable in my own skin.
I’m happy and I think there are a few reasons.
1. I’m older and wiser (hehe I don’t care as much about what people think).
2. The clothing I’m choosing to wear is much more hijab friendly. (I have a theory as to how a lot of girls end up taking off their hijab, and it has to do with the way “psuedo-hijab fashion” has been headed for awhile, a lot of focus on the outward, but that’s a post for another day).
3. The scarves I wear are much lighter than what used to be available.
4. I’m not as immersed in the entertainment world as I previously was, so I’m not putting myself down for not being able to get acting roles because of hijab.
5. I really prayed on this and while there will often be struggles here and there, it’s getting so much easier Alhumdulilah.
Overall, I think in the summer, it can be hard for hijabis.
Sure we probably get hot, just like everyone else. But there is also a lot of scrutiny from people who aren’t Muslim. The never ending questions of “aren’t you hot” can get tiresome.
Also, there are days we all probably wish we could jump in the pool, but it’s hard to find a private spot where there aren’t a million people around.
If you’re struggling this summer, you’re not alone. Know that plenty of us have been in your shoes. I truly believe hijab is something that can go up and down.
Some days you can feel really great about it, and other days you can feel like you wish you didn’t wear it. Don’t let that get you depressed, just know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
In other news..
It’s nearly the 8 year anniversary for Hijabtrendz! I’m always amazed when I get emails or run into people who’ve been reading the website for years. Thank you so much for keeping up with it! I think it’s about time I do a redesign and fix up the site, so hopefully by the end of the year we’ll have that taken care of.
In the meantime, I’ll continue to try different features to see what you guys like, and get rid of things that y’all aren’t having any part of hehe.
How has your summer been so far? I love reading comments, so please post some!